Sunday 29 December 2019

BOOKS | Review: Mirage by Somaiya Daud

Name: Mirage
Author: Somaiya Daud
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Date published: 28th August 2018
Genre: Fiction, young adult, fantasy, science fiction
Pages: 311
Rating: 4/5
Note: This review contains mild spoilers.


 In a star system dominated by the brutal Vathek empire, eighteen-year-old Amani is a dreamer. She dreams of what life was like before the occupation; she dreams of writing poetry like the old-world poems she adores; she dreams of receiving a sign from Dihya that one day, she, too, will have adventure, and travel beyond her isolated moon.
But when adventure comes for Amani, it is not what she expects: she is kidnapped by the regime and taken in secret to the royal palace, where she discovers that she is nearly identical to the cruel half-Vathek Princess Maram. The princess is so hated by her conquered people that she requires a body double, someone to appear in public as Maram, ready to die in her place.
As Amani is forced into her new role, she can’t help but enjoy the palace’s beauty—and her time with the princess’ fiancĂ©, Idris. But the glitter of the royal court belies a world of violence and fear. If Amani ever wishes to see her family again, she must play the princess to perfection...because one wrong move could lead to her death.
- From Goodreads

I was not certain how I felt about Mirage at the beginning, and for a while as I was reading it I thought I might give it 3/5 stars, but towards the end it began to pick up and I felt more positive about the story.
I thought the concept was certainly interesting, but in some places it could have been better executed. Sometimes I wondered if it was necessary for there to be a look-a-like at all and if the story could have just been told from Princess Maram's perspective, since she was certainly a complex character with the potential to learn and be redeemed from her mistakes, and it would not have been too difficult to write her falling for the love interest instead of Amani falling for him. But in the end I did enjoy the developing friendship between the two girls and I will be interested to see how their stories develop in the next book.
Apart from the growing friendship between the girls and Amani's relationship with Idris (which I thought was well written but I did not feel completely invested in it), I felt that not much changed throughout the story. By the end, Amani was pretty much where she had started, held hostage with little power to change anything. There were some difference and I can understand the story is not complete yet, but I think it might have been better if it had ended with Amani in a different place.
I think as well as the plot, the writing for the main character Amani could have been improved a little too. Sometimes she seemed so much more good and kindhearted than the princess and she was often worried about the consequences of her actions, but there were a few small moments where she slipped too easily into having to pretend to be the princess and did not seem to worry much about the people she was being cruel to. I often found myself wanting to root for her but there was something about her character that was a little too weak and ill-defined to completely understand.
Overall, although I have my criticisms of the story and felt it was a bit slow to get into despite it not being that long, I thought the action and excitement towards the end of the book really picked things up for me and made me more invesed. I am looking forward to the next book and I am hopeful that the good parts of this book, such as the setting and concepts, will continue into the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BOOKS | Review: Divine Rivals by Rebecca Ross

Name: Divine Rivals ( Letters of Enchantment #1) Author: Rebecca Ross Publisher: Magpie Books (Harper Collins) Date published: April 2...