Name: Violet Thistlewaite is Not a Villain Anymore
Author: Emily Krempholtz
Publisher: Sphere
Date published: November 2025
Genre: Fiction, adult, fantasy, romance, cosy
Pages: 359
Rating: 4/5
Guy Shadowfade is dead, and after a lifetime as the dark sorcerer’s right-hand, Violet Thistlewaite is determined to start over - not as the fearsome Thornwitch, but as someone kind. Someone better. Someone good.
The quaint town of Dragon’s Rest, Violet decides, will be her second chance - she’ll set down roots, open a flower shop, keep her sentient (mildly homicidal) houseplant in check, and prune dark magic from the twisted boughs of her life.
Violet’s vibrant bouquets and cheerful enchantments soon charm the welcoming townsfolk, though nothing seems to impress the prickly yet dashingly handsome Nathaniel Marsh, an alchemist sharing her greenhouse. With a struggling business and his own second chance seemingly out of reach, Nathaniel has no time for flowers or frippery - and certainly none for the intriguing witch next door.
When a mysterious blight threatens every living plant in Dragon’s Rest, Violet and Nathaniel must work together through their fears, pasts, and growing feelings for one another to save their community. But with a figure from her past knocking at her door and her secrets threatening to uproot everything she’s worked so hard to grow, Violet can’t help but wonder... does a former villain truly deserve a happily-ever-after?
- From Goodreads.
This was a very heartwarming and cosy fantasy romance, and I would definitely recommend it if you enjoy other cosy fantasy stories like Sarah Beth Durst's The Spellshop or Sangu Mandanna's The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches.
My only problem with the story was the conflict between Violet and Nathaniel towards the end that only seemed to be included to add to the tension and felt a little forced, like their character development was undone for a scene to make the end more suspenseful. I think that could have been done without forcing the conflict. Otherwise, I think the plot was very compelling and I was rooting for the two main characters to find their happy ending together.
I liked the concept of the story, I think the main character having a past in which she was very close to and helped a villain who did terrible things, and her feeling very confused and torn about how she felt about him made for a lot of interesting depth to her character and it was understandable that she felt so unsure of what her future would be without him. I really felt sympathy for her and hoped she would be able to live the peaceful life she wanted.
I do recommend this if you are looking for an easy-to-read, light-hearted fantasy romance, it's not perfect but it is comforting and I think has a lovely happy ending. I would definitely be happy to read more from this author.

No comments:
Post a Comment