Saturday 23 March 2024

BOOKS | Review: Upon a Frosted Star by M.A. Kuzniar

Name: Upon a Frosted Star

Author: M.A. Kuzniar

Publisher: HQ (HarperCollins) 

Date published: September 2023

Genre: Fiction, adult, fantasy, historical, fairy tales, retellings

Pages: 384

Rating: 3/5

This review contains major spoilers.


When the snow falls, she will be free...
The invitations always arrive the same way - without warning, appearing around the city on the first snowfall of the year, simply inscribed with 'Tonight.'
When struggling artist, Forster, finds an invitation, he's bewitched by the magic of the evening, swept up in the glamour of this notorious annual party and intrigued as to who is behind them.
Determined to find out more about the mysterious host, Forster discovers an abandoned manor house silent with secrets and a cursed woman who is desparate to be free...

- From Goodreads.

Upon a Frosted Star had all the magical atmosphere, whimsical fairytale elements and beautiful descriptions that Midnight in Everwood had, but with a unique set of characters, different plot structure and new setting. I think you could enjoy this if, like me, you loved the previous book, and will find yourself swept away in a completely new story too. It will depend though on how you like sad endings as to whether you like the ending of this book. Personally they are not usually for me and I do not think this one was either, but I do not think it reflects badly on the book, it will just be a matter of personal preference. Obviously if you know the story of Swan Lake you might be able to see the way the story is going, I was just not sure after Midnight in Everwood had such a hopeful ending if this book might take a more romantic story approach rather than a tragic tale, but it did not in the end.

However, there was a brief mention of Marietta from Everwood and what happened to her after her book that made me very happy to see and I was glad we got to have that.

Other than being conflicted by the ending, I thought the rest of the book was very well written. The characters were full of life and loveable, the romance was beautiful and full of yearning and tenderness. I thought the mystery was very suspenseful and kept me intrigued to the end, so I mostly enjoyed reading the story apart from being so nervous for the characters and what was going to happen to them of course. I am just not sure I would read it again because of the ending. I still adore Midnight in Everwood though and would definitely give another book from the author a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BOOKS | Review: Divine Rivals by Rebecca Ross

Name: Divine Rivals ( Letters of Enchantment #1) Author: Rebecca Ross Publisher: Magpie Books (Harper Collins) Date published: April 2...