Sunday 19 February 2023

BOOKS | Review: Heart of the Sun Warrior by Sue Lynn Tan

Name: Heart of the Sun Warrior (The Celestial Kingdom duology #2)

Author: Sue Lynn Tan

Publisher: HarperVoyager

Date published: November 2022

Genre: Fiction, adult, fantasy, adventure, romance, mythology, retellings

Pages: 465

Rating: 4/5

This review contains moderate spoilers.

After winning her mother’s freedom from the Celestial Emperor, Xingyin thrives in the enchanting tranquility of her home. But her fragile peace is threatened by the discovery of a strange magic on the moon, and the unsettling changes in the Celestial Kingdom as the emperor tightens his grip on power.
While Xingyin is determined to keep clear of the rising danger, the discovery of a shocking truth spurs her into a perilous confrontation. Forced to flee her home once more, Xingyin and her companions venture to unexplored lands of the Immortal Realm, encountering legendary creatures and shrewd monarchs, beloved friends and bitter adversaries. With alliances shifting quicker than the tides, Xingyin has to overcome past grudges and enmities to forge a new path forward, seeking aid where she never imagined she would.
As an unspeakable terror sweeps across the realm, Xingyin must uncover the truth of her heart and claw her way through devastation - to rise against this evil before it destroys everything she holds dear, and the worlds she has grown to love... even if doing so demands the greatest price of all.

- From Goodreads.

I did enjoy this book, but there were a few things that meant I did not love it as much as Daughter of the Moon Goddess. Some of the events that set the plot of Heart of the Sun Warrior in motion did not seem that plausible to me, I could easily believe that the Celestial Emperor would use any excuse to punish Xingyin and her mother, but her mother's actions that lead to them being unjustly punished did seem a little out of character for her, a little more naive than I expected her to be since she was mostly quite a wise character.

I definitely still felt attached to the characters, I felt very emotional when they did, and felt their pain and worry and heartbreak, some parts of the story even made me cry.

Wenzhi was a character that I found a little more frustrating in this book. I still liked him and found the dynamic between him and Xingyin interesting, especially as they became allies, but there were a few times I did not enoy reading scenes with him in. Mostly it was because it seemed like he was not always listening when Xingyin told him what she wanted or he would push a little too much against her boundaries. He never went too far but it was enough to be annoying when it did happen.

I still really loved Liwei and worried for him, and wanted him and Xingyin to be able to work things and out and end the book at a good place together.

I also still loved Xingin's character, she struggled a lot and faced a lot of difficulties, but she still managed to be brave and tried to be kind and made the choice to be caring and take the better path even when it was not easy. I really liked that the author showed how difficult it was for her to be brave and keep going, to be heroic even when it was really hard and terrifying, even when she did not want to do something because she was scared, she did it anyway because she knew she needed to.

I did begin to miss the plot of the first book, the episodic storytelling style that slowly built to the more thrilling climax. This book in comparison had a more fast paced plot throughout, which was not really a fault of the book as it was a sequel that followed on from the first book, so it was propelled forward by the events of that book and could not slow back down. It was still well-plotted and the lovely writing style was still there, but the plot of the first book was just something I really enjoyed so I did miss it while I was reading this one.

I felt a bit conflicted about the ending, I was definitely happpy with some of it, I think the villain was defeated in a satisfying way and I was glad some of the characters I loved survived and found peace, but other parts of it were not as satisfying and I am still not sure how I feel about them. I was glad we saw Xingyin taking time to heal and recover at the end, as it felt realistic that she would be so effected by everything and even if I was not sure how I felt about how it all wrapped up, I was glad to see Xingyin finding happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BOOKS | Review: Divine Rivals by Rebecca Ross

Name: Divine Rivals ( Letters of Enchantment #1) Author: Rebecca Ross Publisher: Magpie Books (Harper Collins) Date published: April 2...