Tuesday 4 December 2018

BOOKS ¦ Review: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Name: Shadow and Bone
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Publisher: Hodder and Stoughton
Date Published: 2016
Rating: 4/5

Slight spoiler warning for this review!


The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.
Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the world of the kingdom's magical elite - the Grisha. Could she be the key setting Ravka free?
The Darkling, a man of seductive charm and terrifying power. If Alina is to fulfil her destiny, she must unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.
But what of Mal, Alina's childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can't she ever quite forget him?

What I really enjoyed about Shadow and Bone was the incredible world building it included. It was inspired by culture and folklore I don't often see used often, and was made unique into its own world. This was supported by wonderful descriptive writing that really immersed you in the world and made it easy to picture.
The characters were intriguing and Alina was a likeable main character who I rooted for. Even though she sometimes made choices I wouldn't personally have made, I could see why she made them. I enjoyed her interactions with minor characters, like Genya, who were all well-thought out and realistic even if they were only background characters.
The Darkling was a brilliant, captivating character. He was a perfectly fascinating villain, probable the best I've read since Tom Riddle in Harry Potter. He had a balance of being, dark, seductive and intense but with human moments  and reasons for his beliefs that made you understand why people followed him and believed in him, even while feeling anger at his violence and horrific actions.
The only character I didn't really enjoy reading was Mal. He wasn't truly bad, and I don't think I would have minded him so much if he wasn't supposed to be a romantic interest for Alina. I just found I didn't really feel the chemistry between them, especially not as strongly as I felt it between Alina and the Darkling. I understood why she couldn't be with the Darkling in the end, even though their interactions were compelling, but I don't think that meant Alina should be with Mal, especially after he dismissed her so much when they were in the army together, and after he got angry with her for going with the Grisha even though it was not her fault. I think I would have preferred if they became friends again, because the romance just didn't feel realistic between them.
Overall, it was a really creative story that kept me captivated and intrigued and I will definitely be reading the other two books in the series, and then possibly the other books set in the same universe, it's just a shame I felt a little let down by the romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BOOKS | Review: Divine Rivals by Rebecca Ross

Name: Divine Rivals ( Letters of Enchantment #1) Author: Rebecca Ross Publisher: Magpie Books (Harper Collins) Date published: April 2...