Sunday 23 March 2014

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Name: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Author's website: http://www.suzannecollinsbooks.com/
Publisher: Scholastic
Date published: 2008
Number of pages: 454
Rating: 5/5
When is it available?: Now
Spoiler warning: Moderate

You are probably thinking something along the lines of "Have you really only just read this?" and the answer to that is yes, I have. The reason I have only just gotten around to reading this book when it's been around for so long that both a movie of it and a movie of the second book in the series have been made and released is because it took me a while to actually want to read it. I didn't want to read it, at first, because I thought I might not like it as it isn't the kind of thing I usually read, (before reading this, I'd never read any dystopian novels) and I was worried it might not be all it was made up to be. But then, after having been given the book as a birthday present, and after I'd seen the film, I did decide to read it and I'm glad I did.
It's a bit strange watching a film based on a book and then reading the book afterwards, I don't think I've ever done it that way round before. But I still managed to enjoy the book even though I had a rough idea of what was going to happen and I found I didn't want to stop reading it once I'd started. One thing I noticed was that the book was slightly more gory than the movie, but I think those parts of the book that were quite horrific were necessary because it showed how scary the situation was for the tributes and what they had to do to try and stay alive.
The story is such an interesting and unique idea. And it is a scary idea, especially once Katniss finds that she's still in danger even after surviving the games, but it's still fascinating and I definitely recommend you read it because it really is worth all the hype.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BOOKS | Review: Divine Rivals by Rebecca Ross

Name: Divine Rivals ( Letters of Enchantment #1) Author: Rebecca Ross Publisher: Magpie Books (Harper Collins) Date published: April 2...