Name: Paladin's Faith (The Saint of Steel #4)
Author: T. Kingfisher
Publisher: Orbit
Date published: First published December 2023, this edition published April 2025
Genre: Fiction, adult, romance, fantasy, mystery, adventure
Pages: 480
Rating: 5/5
Marguerite Florian is a spy with two problems. A former employer wants her dead, and one of her new bodyguards is a far too good-looking paladin with a martyr complex.
Shane is a paladin with three problems. His god is dead, his client is much too attractive for his peace of mind, and a powerful organization is trying to have them both killed.
Add in a brilliant artificer with a device that may change the world, a glittering and dangerous court, and a demon-led cult, and Shane and Marguerite will be lucky to escape with their souls intact, never mind their hearts…
- From Goodreads.
Once again I am impressed that all the books in this series have the same feeling of being a comforting and entertaining fantasy romance, whilst also managing to have such different plots. All the stories go in such different directions and have distinct characters, while also having a similar tone, humour and feel-good message that keeps the series cohesive and still feeling like there is an overarching plot that flows well between books.
This book really set up a lot for the rest of the series and I am very excited to see how it continues, both for the romantic stories between the new couples, and for the wider fantasy plot. There are just always so many fascinating details that make the world fully realised and such an interesting setting for the characters' stories to take place in.
I loved the two main characters in this story, Marguerite and Shane. It was wonderful to see Marguerite again and learn more about her after briefly meeting her in the first book, and I think she worked well opposite Shane, who, like all the other paladins so far, was very compelling and sympathetic. I also thought it was fun that he was especially good at the "paladin voice", and how that came to be significant in the plot at the end.
I really recommend this series, it's a wonderful balance of clever fantasy plot, brilliant humour, a little touch of horror, and really lovely romance. I'm so looking forward to the rest of the books in this series, and more from T. Kingfisher in general.

No comments:
Post a Comment